Jump to Section Menu
Business Development Manager
Columbia SC or Charlotte NC Offices
**We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.**
The Business Development Manager executes marketing and business development plans and initiatives on behalf of the Firm’s established Client Teams and Industry Teams.
This position reports directly to the Firm’s Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer and will partner closely with the Director of Marketing Operations on the day-to-day workflow. This position will also work closely with his/or her peers in the department, as well as Industry Team and Client Team Leaders. This position must have superior knowledge of client development, client loyalty and client retention practices in the professional services sector. The Business Development Manager will possess superior analytical, written and oral communication, organizational, and project management skills and have the ability to implement strategic directives and see projects through from concept to delivery, using initiative, solid judgment, and business savvy.
Parker Poe is a team-oriented environment and the Business Development Manager will be very collaborative and adhere to internal client service standards and Firm’s client commitment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as front-line manager on incoming projects and as project manager from conception to follow-through to ensure efficiency and quality.
- Manage, guide and track client development efforts for Firm’s Industry and Client Teams.
- Actively identify and support cross-selling activities between groups.
- Coach and prepare attorneys for presentations to clients and prospective clients for new business.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Communications Specialist to identify and pursue profile raising opportunities in key industry and business publications through media relations and advertising.
- Develop targeted and highly customized qualifications documents, proposals and presentations in the pursuit of new business for assigned groups.
- Manage the organization of representative matters, client lists and group experience for use in the Experience Management tool and specific business development efforts.
- Collaborate closely with Client Event Planner to manage events and sponsorship including attendance focusing on building client relationships.
- Serve as the “face” of the Firm at business and community events.
- Create, monitor and track business development budgets relative to all areas of responsibility, assessing ROI from one year to next.
- Make recommendations regarding participation/membership in industry publications and organizations.
- Identify awards and recognition opportunities and manage/coordinate nominations.
- Identify areas of competitive intelligence, analyze, and conduct as needed, research on our competitors and clients.
- Collaborate with MarCom on all marketing activities of assigned groups, including events, sponsorships, advertising, PR, etc. with appropriate person within the department or outside consultant.
- Plan with assigned group leader, attend, and run/present as needed for all assigned group meetings and retreats, tracking all action items and following up on actions.
- Collaborate with assigned groups to produce a definitive client development plan for each team that will be tracked and discussed regularly.
- Must be familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices and procedures. Requires a bachelor's degree, and at least 7 years of experience in the field or a related area.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent communication skills are required, as are advanced skills in research (both internal and external) and in Excel and Word.
- An intuitive understanding of legal and/or professional services marketing is required. Ability to operate and navigate within other systems utilized by the Firm
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org