Administrative Law – Our practice includes regulatory representation and litigation before state agencies, commissions and boards. We handle negotiations with regulatory agencies and assist clients in compliance with licensing regulations and judicial review of administrative decisions in North Carolina and South Carolina.
Campaign Finance – Campaign finance laws and regulations can be very specific in a number of areas but often leave little guidance in many other situations. We routinely advise clients on issues involving the interpretation of state and federal campaign finance laws. We also assist clients in the creation and management of state and federal political action committees.
Economic Development – Within the realm of government relations, our attorneys have vast experience in assisting clients with economic development issues. We utilize our familiarity with the government process in North Carolina and South Carolina to assist clients in negotiating and obtaining approval of economic incentives packages. We are proud of this work, as it has resulted in direct benefits to our clients while strengthening the economic well-being of the Carolinas.
Eminent Domain & Condemnation – We have represented several local governments as well as corporate and individual landowners in North Carolina and South Carolina in important eminent domain cases. These cases involved the acquisition of land for economic development projects, expansion of water and sewer facilities, relocation of utility facilities and other purposes.
Government Contracts & Procurement – Members of our group assist clients in obtaining contracts with North Carolina and South Carolina agencies beginning with the procurement process and continuing through the representation of successful and unsuccessful bidders in protest procedures, administrative hearings and judicial appeals.
Government Relations & Lobbying – Our approach to lobbying combines integrity, personal relationships and experience to produce results for our clients. We assist clients by formulating strategy, drafting legislation, appearing before legislative committees and study commissions and intervening directly with legislative officials.
Land Use & Zoning – We serve as counsel to local governments on land use and zoning matters. We also regularly appear before boards of adjustment on behalf of developers on permitting matters. We have successfully litigated appeals of adverse special use permit decisions for telecommunications towers, construction projects and residential developments.
Municipalities and Counties – Parker Poe has been counsel to municipalities since the 1950s. The firm's municipal practice is comprised of seasoned attorneys with more than 85 years combined experience in advising and counseling municipal boards, councils, commissions, managers and staff.
Property Tax – Our representation of local governments in the property tax arena has led to several national engagements with municipalities as well as the representation of many private companies in property tax appeals. We have experience representing taxpayers before federal, state and local tax authorities.
Public Transit – We offer advice on state and local laws affecting transit systems in North Carolina and South Carolina, from planning and startup through construction and operations. Together with our knowledge of federal transit regulations and transit practices nationwide, Parker Poe provides comprehensive and innovative approaches to address the myriad of issues faced by public transit systems on a daily basis.
Telecommunications – We conduct a broadly based telecommunications practice that includes representation of wireline and wireless carriers. We negotiate interconnection agreements, fiber optic capacity agreements, franchise and right-of-way agreements. We also represent carriers in arbitrations, unbundled network element price cases and other proceedings before public service commissions throughout the Southeast.
Trucking & Transportation – Our attorneys represent many types of freight transportation clients, including large and small shippers, common, contract and private carriers, brokers and freight forwarders.
- Represented one of the nation's most successful manufacturing companies in securing legislative approval of the largest economic incentives package in North Carolina history
- Negotiated and obtained judicial approval of a settlement in Indiana that resolved years of property tax appeals; settlement included $44 million to be paid to our local government client and an agreement by the taxpayer to invest $150 million at its facility for the next four years
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical company in negotiating an economic incentives package for a major plant expansion
- Successfully handled landmark annexation cases for the City of Fayetteville at both the trial and appellate levels
- Created and managed state and federal political action committees for several corporations and trade associations
- Performed title work on more than 200 miles of railroad corridors in North Carolina for state, regional and local public transportation agencies
- Negotiated a reduction of more than $40 million in the tax assessment of a major sports complex in North Carolina
- Represented the successful bidder to provide technical services to the North Carolina Education Lottery
- Represented the winning bidder in North Carolina's largest information technology procurement in an administrative appeal initiated by the unsuccessful bidder