State and Federal Regulatory
– We regularly represent clients before state public service commissions (PSCs). We have appeared before PSCs throughout the Southeast in the full range of proceedings that arise from the states’ role in implementing the Telecom Act of 1996. We have prosecuted interconnection arbitrations and complaint cases. Our attorneys have also represented numerous CLECs in PSC proceedings to set rates for unbundled network elements. We assist CLECs and IXCs in obtaining state certifications and PSC approval of mergers and intracorporate reorganizations. We have appeared before the FCC in enforcement proceedings and in rule-making proceedings. Our attorneys have also litigated telecommunications cases in state and federal courts.
– We negotiate and draft contracts to support the business of our wireless telecommunications clients. These contracts include ground space leases and acquisition-related agreements to buy, sell, lease, license or acquire easements for communication and broadcast towers and related equipment and utilities, rooftop antenna agreements, placement of wireless equipment on water towers and other non-tower structures, access and utility easements, inside and outside DAS agreements, municipal franchise/right-of-way agreements, marketing agreements, collocation agreements to allow fiber providers access to wireless carriers, and Internet wholesale access and service agreements.
– We also negotiate and draft contracts to support the business of our wireline communications clients, including interconnection agreements with incumbent local exchange carriers (ILECs), equipment space/collocation agreements (including rooftops and water towers), fiber optic capacity agreements, indefeasible right of use agreements, fiber optic cable license and swap agreements, backhaul agreements to provide fiber optics to communication towers, and pole attachment agreements with public utilities and municipalities.
– We regularly lobby state legislative and executive branch members on behalf of our telecommunications clients. We work with our clients to formulate strategies to advance their legislative goals.
Land Use/Zoning/Real Estate
– Our attorneys have extensive experience in land use, zoning and environmental matters related to communications and broadcast infrastructure. We have represented CMRS carriers before boards of adjustment, planning commissions, city councils and county commissions and our attorneys have successfully litigated local land use decisions in support of our CMRS clients. We have provided legal support for numerous large scale infrastructure deployment projects. We have experience in all real estate-related aspects of the telecommunications industry, including the acquisitions and leasing of property for tower sites and obtaining related easements.
- Obtained local zoning permits for major buildout of tower infrastructure throughout the Carolinas for a national wireless carrier
- Represented a coalition of CLECs in a landmark PSC proceeding that resulted in a collocation tariff with rates, terms and conditions favorable to competitive carriers
- Represented group of CLEC jointly in an interconnection arbitration that resulted in favorable interconnection terms
- Successfully mediated a tariff dispute before the Enforcement Bureau of the FCC for the telecommunications of a major energy company
- Acquired parcels throughout the Carolinas on behalf of a wireless infrastructure company for placement of wireless tower facilities
- Negotiated indefeasible rights of use for fiber optic networks and related equipment throughout the Southeast to expand and diversify telecommunication networks
- Represented Wi-fi communications client for the construction and installation of Li-Fi Digital Wireless Networks at professional and collegiate sports stadiums and arenas.
- Advised telecommunications clients on preparing municipal encroachment agreements and franchise ordinances for fiber optic installations
- Assisted an international wireless infrastructure company with managing and extending existing tower asset leases and/or acquiring additional property interests in more than 2000 tower sites, by the drafting and negotiation of purchase agreements, leases and amendments, easements and deeds, along with assisting in all aspects of closing on each of these matters, including resolving title issues
- Represented regional wholesale fiber optic service provider in the purchase of fiber network and all related assets, including acquisitions of related fiber agreements
- Represented multiple regional fiber optic wholesale providers with expansion of fiber networks through leasing or obtaining IRUs for fiber, access points, POPs, and working on all related aspects of the fiber network, including the buying and selling of fiber optic capacity
- Represented regional telecommunications company in obtaining CLEC licenses in multiple states
- Represented client with national wireless provider for the construction and placement of an outdoor DAS system at multiple national venues
- Represented client with agreement to install indoor DAS in office park settings
- Represented regional fiber provider with obtaining access to railroad rights of way