Join Parker Poe partner Nina Gupta for a webinar about prior written notice (PWN). The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) has many requirements surrounding the PWN that districts that must provide parents regarding services and support for their children. But what the IDEA doesn’t include is specific guidance on how to meet those requirements. Nina will provide a blueprint for drafting and delivering PWNs that are both timely and legally compliant.
How far in advance must you send PWN? What are appropriate delivery methods? When does failure to provide PWN result in a free appropriate public education (FAPE) violation? You’ll get the answers to those questions and learn what specific information you should include and omit — so your district’s PWNs not only support your decisions but are useful to your defense in potential FAPE claims.
Attendees will learn best practices to:
- Identify the events that trigger the district's duty to provide parents PWN.
- Draft a PWN that supports the district's decisions regarding the student's services, placement or provision of FAPE.
- Draft a PWN that is understandable to parents, including those with limited English proficiency.
- Determine when to send PWN so it is timely and offers parents sufficient time to consider their options and respond.
- Apply lessons learned from case law to avoid common procedural missteps.