A. Smith Podris
Smith Podris focuses her practice on commercial and creditors’ rights litigation. Ms. Podris regularly handles issues related to commercial foreclosures, including the defense of lender liability claims and representation of creditors in bankruptcy court. She is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, United States District Court for the District of South Carolina and the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of South Carolina.
Prior to joining Parker Poe, Ms. Podris served as a law clerk for the Honorable Karen J. Williams, Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
While at Vanderbilt University, Ms. Podris was the Senior Articles Editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Board.
- Successfully resolved lender liability claims related to alleged construction loan mismanagement on multimillion dollar condominium project
- Achieved summary judgment and favorable settlement for judgment creditor where the corporate debtor’s assets were alleged to have been previously transferred out of the debtor and subsequently probated to family members
- Represented commercial lender in the foreclosure of a multi-county development project, including the successful appointment of a receiver and advice regarding occupancy and environmental remediation issue
- Bennett Douglas Bell Memorial Prize
- Order of the Coif
- Heritage Community Services
Board of Directors, 2011-present
- Charleston School of Law
Adjunct Professor, Fall 2010-present
Charleston200 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401